About this Course
Joomla! is an open source Content Management System (CMS). This course is designed to provide an introduction to the fundamentals of Joomla! to enable users to build and maintain a web site.
2KO Africa runs accredited computer courses in various African territories, and also supplies authorised online computer training.
Web site administrators and web developers.
Course Contents 1. Introduction
• What is Open Source
• Joomla! the Content Management system
• Joomla! the Framework
• The Joomlasphere
2. Installing and Configuring Joomla!
• Downloading Joomla!
• Setting up a test web server
• Creating a Database
• Using File Manager to upload Joomla!
• Joomla! Web Installation
3. Identifying Your Purpose
• Domain Names, Trademarks, Licensing, Copyright, and Legalities
• The Basics of Branding
• Identifying the Target Audience: The Who, What, Where, and Why
• Wireframes, Storyboarding, & Visualisation
4. Creating Content for Your Joomla! Site
• Defining and managing content
• Working with the Media Manager & Images
5. Exploring the Menu’s
• Site Menu
• The Menus Menu
• Components Menu
• Extensions Menu
6. Customising Templates
• Customising the Default template
7. Extensions: Components, Modules, Plugins, and Languages
• Core Joomla! Extensions
8. How to Choose Extensions
• Using the Extension Directory
• Installing Extensions and Viewing
• Extension Information
• Popular Extensions
9. Maintaining a Joomla! Web Site
• Getting the home page right
• Search Engines, SEO, Getting listed
and staying there
• Using Navigation
• Engaging visitors & keeping content fresh
• Marketing basics and Social Networking
• Why you need to keep your
Web Site current
10. Joomla! for Business
• Basic planning
• Brochure Sites
• Extending Joomla!:
Some Extensions to consider for business
• Other Business Site Extensions
• Joomla! Authentication Tools
11. Joomla! 1.6 and beyond
• Changes in Minimum Requirements
• User Interface Changes
• Categories replace Sections
• Access Control Lists (ACL) Languages
Basic understanding of website admin
Working knowledge of XHTML and CSS
How to enroll for the course
• Before enrolling for the course you should have the following information ready:
o Date you wish to attend the course
o Payment method – how you will be paying
o An understanding of the costs of the total package
• You can call us on our office number (see our web site contact page on www.i2ko.com) and request a booking telephonically
• You can book by email – simply send us an email with your name, the date and how you would like to pay. We will send you an invoice and upon payment your place is secure
o Request a credit card payment. We do accept credit card payments.
Frequently Asked Questions Where do you train the course?
We train the course at our Bo-kaap training centre in Cape Town, South Africa.
What other branches do you have in SA or in the world?
We only train in Cape Town.
What books do I get with this course?
You will receive a course text book which you can take away with you to keep after the course.
How long will it take me to get certified?
We recommend that students take at least one to two weeks for exam preparation for every module they do. It is unusual for students to be able to take the exam in the same week they do the course.
Does the price include the official exam?
No, the exam is not included in the price. Exam prices vary from centre to centre.
About the Exam
The exams are done at any authorised testing centre such as 2KO. You can find a list of exam centres close to you by going to www.vue.com.
The exam is a multiple test, on computer at an authorised testy centre. The results are made known immediately. If you fail the test, you must book it again at a future date and will pay again.