About this Course
InDesign provides the perfect interface for designing professional layouts with sophisticated graphics and typography. This 2 day course is designed to introduce delegates to the concepts involved in desktop publishing. Delegates will learn crucial skills which will enable them to create a variety of documents from one-page flyers and advertisements to multi-page colour publications. As well as covering the layout and typographical controls the course also includes basic design principles and tips to make documents always look professional.
2KO International runs computer courses across the African continent, and is a top provider of internationally certified online IT training.
Course Objectives At the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
• Design documents containing text and Graphics using frames
• Format using Styles
• Utilise colours, swatches, and gradients
• Manage linked files and missing fonts
• Utilise tables
• Automate workflow with Master pages
• Create Acrobat PDF files and prepare for printing
1. InDesign Layout
• The InDesign Workspace
• Using shortcuts
• Customise your workspace
• Setting preferences – rulers, guides, layers
2. Document design
• Altering Layout
• Create the Structure of a Document
• Develop Master Pages
• Manage Text and Graphic Placement
• Develop Layers
3. Creating Basic Drawn Elements
• The Selection and Direct Selection Tool
• The Tool & Colour Palettes
• Grids, rulers and guides
4. Working with Text
• Add/Edit & Spell Check
• Thread and Wrapping Text
• Importing text
• Apply/Edit Styles to text
• Dealing with missing fonts
• Change Text Threads
• Hyphenation and justification
• The Eyedropper tool
• Creating drop caps
• Edit, Apply and Manage Paragraph Styles
• Format Characters and Paragraphs
• Numbering paragraphs
• Text on a path
• Flowing text through multiple frames
• Creating ‘placeholder’ frames
• CS5 text options
• Using the ‘tab’ command
• The Glyphs window
5. Working with Objects
• Arranging, Aligning and Distributing
• The ‘place’ command
• Resizing images and frames
• Rotating objects
• Using ‘text wrap’
• Managing object layers
• Creating special effects
• Shape and corner options
• Transforming Objects
• Group & Ungroup
• Duplicating, Rotating, Scaling,Skewing, Mirroring<
• Managing Transparency
6. The ‘Swatches’ window
• The ‘fill’ and ‘stroke’ settings
• Create, use and edit solid colours
• Adding and converting Pantone colour
• Threading/unthreading frames
• Flowing text through frames
• Multi-column text frames
• Document baseline grids
• Hanging punctuation
• Using special characters
• Composition options
• Inner Shadow
• Bevel and Emboss
• Gradient Feather
• Inner and Outer Glow
11. Tabs and Tables
• Create, Modify and Format a Table
• Table Styles
12. The ’Pages’ window
• Adding and deleting pages
• Working with master pages
• Creating automatic page numbering
• Creating new numbering sections
• Using multiple master pages
13. Managing multiple documents
• Templates and libraries
• The ‘book’ option
• Importing swatches
• Using Adobe Bridge
14. Printing & Export
• Checking documents for problems
• Package Files
• Preview Output & options
• Print, Separation, Flattening
• PostScript, preflighting and Packaging
• Creating Adobe Acrobat PDF Files
• Low and Hi resolution
• Creating a low-res PDF for the web
How to enroll for the course
• Before enrolling for the course you should have the following information ready:
o Date you wish to attend the course
o Payment method – how you will be paying
o An understanding of the costs of the total package
• You can call us on our office number (see our web site contact page on www.i2ko.com) and request a booking telephonically
• You can book by email – simply send us an email with your name, the date and how you would like to pay. We will send you an invoice and upon payment your place is secure
o Request a credit card payment. We do accept credit card payments.
Frequently Asked Questions Where do you train the course?
We train the course at our Bo-kaap training centre in Cape Town, South Africa.
What other branches do you have in SA or in the world?
We only train in Cape Town.
What books do I get with this course?
You will receive a course text book which you can take away with you to keep after the course.
How long will it take me to get certified?
We recommend that students take at least one to two weeks for exam preparation for every module they do. It is unusual for students to be able to take the exam in the same week they do the course.
Does the price include the official exam?
No, the exam is not included in the price. Exam prices vary from centre to centre.
About the Exam
The exams are done at any authorised testing centre such as 2KO. You can find a list of exam centres close to you by going to www.vue.com.
The exam is a multiple test, on computer at an authorised testy centre. The results are made known immediately. If you fail the test, you must book it again at a future date and will pay again.
Included in your course fees:
• Tuition fees
• Breakfast and lunch on course days
• Teas and coffees
• Attendance certificate
No prior knowledge of InDesign is assumed.